Milledgeville, Ga. – The fifth-seeded Lander volleyball team (15-11, 4-8 PBC) will open its 2017 Peach Belt Conference Tournament on Friday against fourth-seeded Augusta (17-14, 6-6 PBC). The match will be hosted by Georgia College at 1:30 p.m. in the Centennial Center.
LIVE STATS: Lander Volleyball
SOCIAL: Follow @LUVOLLEYBALL on Twitter for in-game updates
- Lander is participating in its 20th consecutive Peach Belt Conference Tournament. The Bearcats have never missed the PBC Tournament and are looking for their sixth win at the event since 2007.
- The Bearcats and Jaguars are familiar opponents as the teams met last week for the second time this year. Augusta won both matches in the regular season by a mark of 3-1.
- Hannah Hritzled the Bearcats in both games against Augusta this year. The freshman notched 17 kills in the first meeting and 15 in the match last Tuesday.
- Lander suffered a first round loss at the hands of Francis Marion in last season’s PBC Tournament by a margin of 3-2. Augusta also fell in the first round against eventual tournament runner-up Armstrong State by a score of 3-2.
- The Jaguars are led by the two of the strongest attackers in the PBC. Juniors McKenzey Beck and Savanna Gonzales currently sit atop the conference’s kill department with 357 and 344 respectively.
- SeniorReyonia Whipple continues to lead the conference in blocks per set with a 1.23 average while also pouring in a conference-best 121 total blocks.
- The winner of Friday’s match will earn the right to face top-seeded Flagler at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.