How to Prepare for Finals Week
College is great, you can meet new people. Join clubs that you might be interested in, and it’s full of freedom. It’s what some people might call “living the life”. People quickly forget about the dreaded examination week! Students have a limited amount of time to prepare for an exam that covers all the material they’ve learned over the semester. This year Lander’s exam week will take place Dec 5-8. Here are a few tips that can help you as we get closer to exam week.
· Create your own study guide. Creating your own can help you understand the material better. Outlining the important information, you need to learn can be helpful, both in creation and to refer to during your studies.
· Ask questions. Your professors and TA’s are there to help! Ask them questions regarding the material and the exam so that you’re prepared when exam time arrives.
· Attend the review session. Review sessions offer vital information on exam format, what will be on the exam and key concepts you should be focusing your studies on.
· Start early. If you always start ahead of schedule, you’ll never be cramming the night before an exam.
· Organize a group study session. It can be helpful to study in groups. Evaluate whether studying with others will be beneficial to the subject as well at your learning process.
· Take breaks. You won’t be able to memorize or comprehend all the material at once. Balance is key, ensure that you reward learning with break times to recharge and relax.
· Stay well-rested. There’s a lot to be said about a good night’s sleep. Make sure you’re well-rested so that you can be fully focused during your exams.
· Create a study schedule and follow it. Splitting the material into chucks you can achieve can be very beneficial. That way, you can keep track of what you’ve accomplished instead of looking at the big picture and getting overwhelmed.
· Prioritize your study time. Some exams will be more difficult than others, some you may find easier to study for. Some may be worth more of your grade than others. Make sure to evaluate all your exams to consider and determine all the involved factors so you can study accordingly.
Lander provides free tutoring services for all students, so be sure to take advantage of the Academic Success Center. Also as a bonus they will be offering twilight tutoring during exam week to help with specific needs. A tradition of midnight breakfast will take place along with extended library hours. Finals week will be here before you know it so be sure to prepare!